We, the member congregations of the Unitarian Universalist Association, covenant to affirm and promote:
- The inherent worth and dignity of every person
- Justice, equity and compassion in human relations
- Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations
- A free and responsible search for truth and meaning
- The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large
- The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all
- Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.
Seven Principles of Black Lives
The organizing collective of Black Lives of UU, along with other Black UUs, created this document to present to our faith. Read the descriptions of the 7 Principles of Black Lives plus other details on their article published on Medium.
- All Black Lives Matter.
- Love / Self-Love is practiced in every element of all we do.
- Spiritual growth is directly tied to our ability to embrace our whole selves.
- Experimentation and innovation must be built into our work.
- Most Directly Affected people are experts at their own lives.
- Thriving instead of Surviving
- 360 degree vision
Sources of Our Living Tradition
Unitarian Universalists affirm and promote six sources:
- Direct experience of that transcending mystery and wonder, affirmed in all cultures, which moves us to a renewal of the spirit and an openness to the forces which create and uphold life.
- Words and deeds of prophetic people which challenge us to confront powers and structures of evil with justice, compassion, and the transforming power of love
- Wisdom from the world's religions which inspires us in our ethical and spiritual life
- Jewish and Christian teachings which call us to respond to God's love by loving our neighbors as ourselves
- Humanist teachings wich counsel us to heed the guidance of reason and the results of science, and warn us against idolatries of the mind and spirit
- Spiritual teachings of Earth-centered traditions which celebrate the sacred circle of life and instruct us to live in harmony with the rhythms of nature.
Our Connection to the Broader Faith
We are a member of the Unitarian Universalist Association of Congregations and part of the MidAmerica region. We support the Standing on the Side of Love public advocacy campaign.
The press releases and statements at right are updated automatically as they are issued by the UUA. Keep up to date with the latest news from our national organization quickly and easily here on our own Bis-Man UU website!